Monday, April 6, 2009




Soooooooooooo what is the new adventure? Well, I there are recent developments that are super exciting, but I think I'll first mention my recent obsession with fruit leather. Somehow I don't know how this gem has dropped of fthe radar, but I decided that since I love buying fruit when its on sale, but I can never eat it fast enough before it goes bad, instead of buying less fruit, I decided my only option is to figure out how to make the fruit last. And I remembered this refrigerator-size fruit dryer (drier?) that my mom had growing up that we made the bomb fruit leather on. Alas, it is no more, but I would not be deterred. So I read some recipes on making it without a dehydrator, basically just pureeing the fruit and then slow drying it in the oven on its lowest setting. I also think I missed the part about using parchment paper, not wax paper. So I puree the apples (with the skins on, can't lose the fiber) and spread it out on wax paper and stick it in the oven. This is getting long. So I turn it on low before I go to bed (yes yes I hear you) get paranoid around 1am, so I turn the oven off, and in the morning its pretty good, but I decide to turn the oven back on for a bit. Hmmm, fine line between leather and brittle. Somehow I bet all of this could be deducted from the pictures. Obviously, I got nothing more than a lick.

1 comment:

Brady and Jess said...

ha ha that almost looks dirty!!!! =)